Day 14 - God is real, no matter how I feel.

Quotes from the Book:
  • You wake up one morning and all your spiritual feelings are gone. You pray, but nothing happens. You rebuke the devil, but it doesn't change anything. You go through spiritual  exercises... you have your friends pray for you.. you confess every sin you can imagine, then go around asking forgiveness of everyone you know. You fast.. still nothing. You begin to wonder how long this spiritual gloom might last. Days? Weeks? Months? Will it ever end? It feels as if your prayers simply bounce off the ceiling. In utter desperation, you cry out, "Whats the matter with me?" The truth is, there's nothing wrong with you! This is normal part of testing and maturing of your friendship with God. Every person goes through it at least once, and usually several times. It is painful and disconcerting, but it is absolutely vital for development of your faith.
  • I go east but He is not there. I go west, but I cannot find Him. I do not see Him in the north, for He is hidden. I turn to the South, but I cannot find him. But He knows where I am going. And when He has tested me like gold in a fire, He will pronounce me innocent. -Job's hope when He could not feel God's presence in his life..
  • God's omnipresence and the manifestation of his presence are two different things. One is a fact; the other is often a feeling. God is always present, even when you are unaware of Him, and His presence is too profound to be measured by mere emotion. Yes, He wants you to feel His presence, but He's more concerned that you trust Him than that you feel Him. Faith, not feelings, pleases God.
  • Tell God exactly how you feel. Pour out your heart to God. Unload every emotion that you're feeling. Admitting your hopelessness to Him can be a statement of faith. David wrote, "I believed, so I said, 'I am completely ruined'" This sounds like a contradiction: I trust God but I'm wiped out! David's frankness actually reveals deep faith: 1) he believed in God. 2) he believed God would listen to his prayers. 3) he believed God would let him say what he felt and still love him.
  • Focus on who God is --- his unchanging nature. Regardless of circumstances and how you feel, hang on to God's unchanging character. Remind yourself what you know to be eternally true about God: He is good. He loves me. He is with me. He knows what I'm going through, He cares, and He has a good plan for my life.
  • Trust God to keep His promises. During times of spiritual dryness you must patiently rely on the promises of God, not your emotions, and realize that He is taking you to a deeper level of maturity. A friendship based on emotion is shallow indeed. So don't be troubled, by trouble. Circumstances cannot change the character of God. God's grace is still in full force; He is still for you, even when you don't feel it.
  • Remember what God has already done for you. If God never did anything else for you, He would still deserve your continual praise for the rest of your life because of His son did for you on the cross.  God's son died for you! He gave up everything so you could have everything. He died so you could live forever. That alone is worthy of your continual thanks and praise. Never again should you wonder what you have to be thankful for.

 Question to Consider: 
How can I stay focused on God's presence, especially when He feels distant?

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! It is not a coincidence that in my post from yesterday I talk about feeling like God does not hear my prayers, because of unconfessed sin. While this was true in my case, thank you for this reminder that we do go through times of testing and times when God seems far off. Yes, trust is a choice, not an emotion. I sure am glad for that because my emotions often behave like a rubber ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the synchronicity of my post to your post. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this. I felt for years like God was not with me. I didn't always trust him, but we are ok now. My kids have really helped me to remember what it really means to feel His presence. Even still, I enjoy the reminder that he is there. 

    ReplyDelete

 
© 2010-2016 Waiting in My Wings. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Adori Graphics